Tuesday 22 February 2011

Do Adbusters actually bust ads?

Don't get me wrong, I've being buying Adbusters for a while now (admittedly not really because of any anti-consumerist sentiment but because I think it's pretty well designed), and I do fully admire their enthusiasm and totally straightforward mentality. But I do always wonder, when flicking through pages of instructions on the next step to bringing down the corporation who (let's be honest) made a lot of the shoes or clothes you own, whether any of their readers do actually respond or whether, like me, they just find the whole publication rather entertaining. Obviously the readers' letters suggest the former, but most of these make me wonder if such enthusiastic people are are fictional... or if they're actually tiptoeing the fine lines of sanity.
This wouldn't stop me from buying it, I'm not an avid political activist (at the moment) but I do feel it's always a good idea to keep an open mind. I just find Adbusters' SIGN HERE AND GATHER YOUR WEAPONS approach a little off-putting for a person merely interested in their activities.
Lastly, I find it incredibly ironic that for a magazine which staunchly supports its own beliefs (to the point where most recently I found myself being told to prepare for WWIV), that the publication itself costs the anti-capitalist anti-consumerist consumer a distressing £5 a go.